Monday, August 12, 2013

The End



On day 99 this amazing journey came to and end.  After 2,514 miles and 5,404,877 footsteps taken, I have reached the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach, VA.  I ran and JUMPED into the water around 12:30pm.  As I neared to ocean and the buildings began to fade and the horizen consisted of water, I could not help but simply smile and laugh.  There was so much going through my mind!  As I reached the beach the adrenaline was at full throttle.  I took the boots off, ran into the water, and dived in!   As I emerged there was a crew from CBN and The Catholic Virginian Newspaper as well as many random people taking pictures.

It felt weird after all this time to just be done.  It's been a day now, and I still haven't been able to process all that needs to be reflected on.  There have just been too many memories along the way and it feels surreal.  I have three days to relax and reflect on the trip.  I am fortunate enough to stay on the beach at First Landing State Park.  Last night as I watched the sun go down and the dolphins give me a show in the water I could not help but just think how much God has blessed me along the way.  Part of me is greatful to be done, but another part was thinking, "Great. I finished this pilgrimage but this is just a part of my life... just a step in growing closer to God.  Just because something has been accomplished does not mean life just stops."

Throughout this trip I have heard "There are a lot of crazies or bad people out there".  Now I would simply respond yes, but there are MORE good people.

This journey has been such a blessing!  Thank you to everyone who helped out along the way to make this trip possible, whether it was a donation, a meal, a place to sleep, a phone call or text (which sometimes got me through some of hard miles), a smile, a ride, a prayer, a song, and the list goes on.  I would like to give a special thanks to the people of my home parish of St. Peters in Forest lake, MN.  They have been very supportive along the way!  It was very powerful to see how much they helped me out and to hear stories from my mother.  It sometimes kept me going through some hard days.

There are so many thoughts running through my head I do not know where to start or finish.  So I am sorry for keeping this so short.  People have asked along the way if I will write a book, or asked what I am doing after this.  As of right now I have no idea and am trying to just have faith in God that he will show me what He wants me to do.

THANK YOU, EVERYBODY, WHO HELPED OUT AND FOLLOWED ALONG WITH ME ON THIS JOURNEY,

Daniel Reinke

The Finish Line




So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.
-2 Corinthians 5:17

5 comments:

  1. WHAHOOOO! Amazing finish and to think you ended the grand finale with a dolphin show!! HOORAY! Truly old things have passed away and new things have come!!!!!! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Daniel on your Cross America trek to lift up Christians in their daily walk. I was glad to meet you briefly in East Peoria, IL, as you went past our subdivision on Route 150. (I gave you the copy of "The Purpose of the Cross of Christ" book.) Thought it was fun ... and what a small world ... that your trek countrywide would pass on the road I drive everyday. Just gave me an interesting perspective as I thought about my daily routine on this strip of road being just a few steps among the 5 million on your long journey. Keep "pressing on toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14) for whatever the Lord has ahead for you.
    Kevin Robinson
    kjrob89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Dan. I've been watching you from Oregon since before you took your first steps. I must say, what God has done through you, is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I thought about you often and prayed for you. Thank you, once again, for being a beacon of light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Dan! I'm so glad to see that you have completed your journey! Sooo what's next for you?

    ReplyDelete